Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Immobile Bliss

There was a time, in the not so very distant past, when the only way for me to communicate was verbal, face-to-face. Then came a phone connection, and I gained some (many moments of sweet-nothings, idle gossip, some laughter and…), but lost quite a chunk of my piece of mind. Next came an Internet connection: just email to start with, but my days of freedom and blissful ignorance was already over. Checking my mail became a ritual and Outlook Express my shrine. Soon to follow was access to the cyber maze, yahoo, ….com, google!

About a year or so back, I finally succumbed to the call of the mobile phone. I had resisted for long (couldn’t afford it to be honest), but a generous offer from a friend finally took me in – ‘The cat was belled’.

Post Feb 1, after a long period of mobile phone services being suspended, restored and new offers, my SIM lies wrapped in a shroud of ivory white paper in a small pocket in my wallet. Losing all hope of getting it re-registered (long queues, longer official formalities), I left my handset at Siliguri. Luckily for me, a friend of my wife came to my rescue and voila – my SIM’s been activated and working, but my wallet being a single-function, low-tech device, does not double as a handset, so, I am now in the lookout for a handset.

Not really a situation to crib about, is it? Trust my word, if I had spent as much energy in trying to find the right handset on anything else, I guess I could have achieved so much by now. Magazines, the web, friends – all I have on my mind are WAP, GPRS, Mhz, MB… To top it all, I woke up just the other night using a phone that was a super-hybrid, featuring the best features of a dozen and more phones.

Now I wonder if technology has made my life easier? Looking back at those good-ol’ immobile days, I have my doubts!

No comments: