Friday, October 28, 2005

Banda Bust

I am a maverick and I do not have fixed working hours. I do my work when I have any, but I have a lot of time where I can indulge my pleasures and passions. It is an easy schedule, but living in a city, I do wish for the quiet moments.

Prior to the infamous ‘February 01 – Royal Takeover’ the opposition parties or the Maoists gave me my share of those quiet moments, through strikes or bandas. Well, it’s a banda today and I am welcoming it with flaring nostrils and wide open ears – its refreshing, even more so than a wash with ‘Liril or our own Mayalu Freshness Soap’.

The issue this time, as I have read in a local daily, is the government action against Kantipur FM. Some call it an act of repression, a few others an act of retribution, and most like me, I guess, have no opinion about it or have not had the time to ponder over the issue. There was a cry of ‘Foul Play’ when the station began relaying its programs to Eastern Nepal through a 10MW relay tower. The FM station had a 1 MW license and many felt that relaying it was illegal. Tales of a 7 Crore kickback to the Communication minister Jayaprakash Gupta ran rife, but with time, things just moved on.

And then came the government action against Kantipur for broadcasting news despite the ordinance banning it. What is my say on it? I do believe in the freedom of expression, but I disdain corruption, and logically speaking why FM if the coverage is not local? So, do I support the government’s move? Not really, I’d rather have free access to what I hear.

Anyway, it’s a banda and my schedule is bust. Its clean air, low decibel levels and life as usual: Yes Kantipur or No Kantipur, Yes ordinance or No ordinance…

1 comment:

Dove said...

Yes! finally, someone with something to offer besides the general whine-whine bitch-bitch,stand up for the rights of the media, saintly-press-been-put-down stance. This just highlights that in truth most things in nepal are rotten to the core--its hard to be on the 'right' side when that 'right' side has obviously committed its own fair share of media ethics violations over the years. Damned if you do, damned if you don't really...