Sunday, May 21, 2006

Return to innocence: sweet nothings

The best thing about growing up has been taking stock of things and taking responsibility. I often look back and wonder at the pace at which time has moved on. Things have changed for the better or for worse, but I do not have any major regrets as such. There are moments though, when I long for the days of old, the moments of innocent bliss. I had a lot of time to kill then, and I still have quite a bit of time to kill now, but when was the last time I sent a mail to a friend or a loved one, just because I wanted to? Mention my name, and many may talk of detailed and very regular emails. My habits haven’t changed much: my mails drop into inboxes as often as they did in the past. I have changed though, and so my mails.

I remember remembering to remember uttering pleasantries for every little thing, from a smile to a swagger. Sweet nothings were everything, and everything else did not mean very much. I did not need a reason to smile or a purpose to utter endearments. Some called me romantic, others genial and friendly, and yet some others, a treat to know. I may have been all that, but I was just me, and innocent.

I am still the same me, though more mature and sadly less innocent. I smile still, I mail as much, but I have forgotten the art of sweet nothings: I need a purpose now for every single gesture!

No comments: