Sunday, April 16, 2006

Lemon @ NRs 15/piece and Extortion Notes

Just a fortnight or so ago, I got a shock to hear that a lemon cost five rupees – it seemed I was still stuck in those good ol’ days when ‘nimbu’ was sold in the ‘saikada’ and not per piece. Now I realize why the bottles of lemon pickle have diminished or disappeared from our homes. Imagine my consternation when I heard this morning that lemon now cost 15 a piece. Lemon I can cut off my diet, but imagine food without salt. And, with salt already scarce in the market, it may soon be a reality. Panic buying is on and prices are sky high.

The people of the Darjeeling Hills braved a 40-day banda in the 1980s. I admire them for their tenacity and resilience at the face of such adversity. We are now in the 11th day of the pro-democracy stir, and it is uncertain how long it will continue on. Life in Nepal has come to a virtual standstill, and ordinary sustenance has become an ordeal. It is heartening indeed to note that the public moral is still high, and we seem to be coping OK with the situation.

Price hikes and food shortages are difficult, but manageable for the moment. ‘What tomorrow?’ is a question that plagues us all – the answers though, only the future will reveal. At a time when every moment and action needs many rounds of thinking and re-thinking, imagine receiving an ‘extortion note’ from one Sushanata Sharma, who claims to be the Battalion Commander of the Maoist, Kathmandu Valley. Investigating the note has revealed that it is a fictitious claim. I heaved a sigh of relief, but this is a very worrying development.

I can bear cutting down my diet, adjusting my budget and my expenses, but how will I cope up with the hyenas that seem to be freely roaming around in our streets. Hyenas by nature are said to prey on the dead and the dying – are our social hyenas doing the same? Is this movement proof that our society is ‘alive’ and well? Or is it on its dying throes?



And here is a follow up to the above email... We await the disaster now:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

V now you won't have hard time believing that a kilo of goat meat costs Rs 474. thank god i am a veggie.

your way to seeing things sometimes amazes me. your one liners are the best.

inuendo and the one with russian monarchy were the best than the rest. not that other articles were bad. they were equally good.

MacDuff said...

You have chosen a good time to take up the pen again! (or the keyboard maybe)
I hope you manage to stay out of trouble.